Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    2026 College Football Odds: Texas Tech Looks To Make It Two In A Row

    Judge blocks Trump administration from moving FBI headquarters to DC office building

    Donor fatigue guts demining in Asia, as active conflicts draw away funding

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest VKontakte
    Sg Latest NewsSg Latest News
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Sports
    Sg Latest NewsSg Latest News
    Home»Politics»Judge blocks Trump administration from moving FBI headquarters to DC office building
    Politics

    Judge blocks Trump administration from moving FBI headquarters to DC office building

    AdminBy AdminNo Comments
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    A U.S. judge on Monday blocked plans to move the FBI’s headquarters to a federal office building in Washington, finding that President Donald Trump’s administration illegally tossed out a previously approved plan to build a new facility nearby in Maryland.

    The ruling is the latest development in a yearslong battle over where to house the main office for the nation’s premier law enforcement agency. A site in Greenbelt, Maryland, was picked during former President Joe Biden’s administration, but Trump appointees sought to reverse that decision last year in favor of repurposing the Ronald Reagan Building, a federal office complex a few blocks from the FBI’s existing headquarters.

    U.S. District Judge Theodore D. Chuang, an appointee of President Barack Obama, ruled that the move was “ not in accordance with law,” and blocked the Trump administration from moving the FBI to the Reagan building, renovating it for the FBI or repurposing funds.

    “This is not the first time courts have tried to undermine the administration in its goal to make government more cost-effective for American taxpayers,” the FBI said in a statement. “The court has chosen to impermissibly intervene for political reasons. This FBI is mission focused and will continue the best course of action to meet the needs of law enforcement.”

    The suit was brought by the state of Maryland and Prince George’s County.

    “Maryland and Prince George’s County committed more than a decade of work to earn the FBI headquarters and pledged hundreds of millions of dollars,” Maryland Attorney General Anthony Brown, a Democrat, said in a statement. “By blocking the Trump Administration’s unlawful attempt to move the FBI to the Reagan Building and divert the funds Congress set aside for this project, the Court has cleared the path back to Greenbelt.”

    Maryland Gov. Wes Moore, also a Democrat, said, “Now it is time to stop the games and get to work building the world-class FBI headquarters that our public servants deserve, where it belongs: in Prince George’s County, Maryland.”

    The FBI’s current Pennsylvania Avenue headquarters, the J. Edgar Hoover Building, was dedicated in 1975. Proponents of moving the headquarters have said the brutalist-style building, where nets surround the facility to protect pedestrians from falling debris, has fallen into disrepair.

    The Maryland location was selected over nearby Virginia following an intense competition between the two states.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Admin
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Judge blocks plan to move FBI headquarters to Reagan Building

    Anthropic revenue run rate tops $65 billion, source says

    Russia targets Danube port after major attack on Moscow

    Top U.S. commander acknowledges mental health issues on USS Lincoln

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    Non-stop flights to emerging markets would boost Singapore economy: MTI report

    US rights groups sue Donald Trump over ICC sanctions

    Wealthy Chinese race for tax advice as Beijing targets offshore trusts

    Top Reviews
    Sg Latest News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
    • Get In Touch
    © 2026 SglatestNews. All rights reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.