Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    NFL Catchup: Cowboys-Saints Fights, A Christian McCaffrey Update & Deals Were Made

    Australia secures court-enforceable child safety undertaking from Roblox

    NSE said to seek up to US$55 billion valuation in record India IPO

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest VKontakte
    Sg Latest NewsSg Latest News
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Sports
    Sg Latest NewsSg Latest News
    Home»Technology»Disney, ABC sue US FCC over threats to remove broadcast licenses
    Technology

    Disney, ABC sue US FCC over threats to remove broadcast licenses

    AdminBy AdminNo Comments
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    Published Wed, Aug 19, 2026 · 09:25 AM

    [WASHINGTON] Disney and its ABC unit sued the Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday (Aug 18) to block an early review of licenses for eight ABC stations, arguing that the Trump administration is trying to punish the network over its broadcast content.

    President Donald Trump has ​repeatedly urged broadcasters ⁠to drop comedy or news programs he dislikes or which have been critical of him or his administration, and has pressed the FCC on numerous occasions to revoke ABC’s licenses.

    Disney said in a lawsuit filed in US District Court in Washington that the FCC was seeking to coerce and retaliate against “a network that refuses to bow to the administration’s demands,” calling the agency’s actions an “extraordinary assault on free speech.”

    Trump has waged an aggressive series of attacks on the news media and the latest move follows a two-year-long battle between Trump and Disney. Last month, Trump again called for ABC stations to lose their licenses because the network refused to air a prime-time speech on elections.

    The court case will pose a key test of the free speech rights of media outlets.

    Disney and ABC asked the court to quickly issue a temporary restraining order halting the license renewal proceedings and preventing the FCC from scheduling a hearing. The company said the public comment period ended earlier this month and the FCC could act at any time.

    The lawsuit alleges that the administration is violating the company’s First Amendment free speech rights, saying that the FCC “is using its regulatory power to retaliate against (Disney and ABC) for programming and editorial decisions the administration dislikes.”

    The FCC said the move stemmed from a year-long investigation into whether Disney’s diversity policies amounted to unlawful discrimination, an allegation the company denies.

    US District Judge Loren AliKhan issued an order on Tuesday directing the company and the FCC to propose a schedule for considering the request for a temporary restraining order and told the agency to notify her if it moves to start the process of revoking the ABC licenses.

    SEE ALSO

    “Kingdom Hearts” is one of nine video games that have grossed more than US$1 billion at retail for Disney, an executive said.

    The White House did not immediately comment.

    FCC Chair Brendan Carr ordered the reviews in April, even though the stations’ license renewals were not scheduled to be ​considered before October 2028. The FCC had not ordered an early review in more than 50 years before April.

    “Disney seems to be a little nervous about what the record’s showing,” Carr said in a Reuters interview, adding that he has made no final decisions on whether to begin the process of revoking Disney’s ABC licenses.

    “We haven’t made a decision about when we’re making a decision,” Carr added, saying the agency will “follow the facts and the law and keep moving forward.”

    Carr has repeatedly said he wants to enforce the FCC’s public interest obligation for broadcasters that use the public airwaves, which he says the FCC has failed to properly deploy for decades.

    Democratic FCC Commissioner Anna Gomez said on Tuesday that “for months, the FCC has waged a campaign of censorship and control against Disney’s ABC stations, using the threat of broadcast license revocations to punish a company for speech this administration doesn’t like.”

    The reviews were ordered a day after Trump urged ABC to fire late-night ​host Jimmy Kimmel.

    Broadcast stations need FCC licenses to use public airwaves. While license revocations are ​extremely rare, critics say the ​threat of losing a license ⁠can pressure broadcasters and raise concerns about government interference in editorial and programming decisions. Networks have broad First Amendment protections over programming choices.

    Trump called in November for the FCC to revoke ABC’s licenses after he criticised an ABC News correspondent for asking ⁠Saudi Arabia’s ​crown prince about the 2018 killing of a Washington Post columnist in ​a question the president described as “insubordinate.”

    The FCC is also investigating ABC daytime talk show The View, which discusses US politics, after saying it may be subject to federal ​rules requiring broadcasters to provide equal opportunities to political candidates.

    Disney noted that since February the programme has not invited any political candidates to appear, citing the FCC’s “pressure campaign.” REUTERS

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Admin
    • Website

    Related Posts

    From robot dogs to helpers, China puts robotics ambitions on display at conference

    Access Denied

    Meta’s federal trial begins over child social media addiction claims

    Social Security expands electronic health record sharing to speed up disability claims adjudication

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    Non-stop flights to emerging markets would boost Singapore economy: MTI report

    US rights groups sue Donald Trump over ICC sanctions

    Wealthy Chinese race for tax advice as Beijing targets offshore trusts

    Top Reviews
    Sg Latest News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
    • Get In Touch
    © 2026 SglatestNews. All rights reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.