Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Court ruling against Trump’s use of tariffs offers little respite for global economy, analysts say

    After fueling test, optimism grows for March launch of Artemis II to the Moon

    ‘The Secret Agent’ | Anatomy of a Scene

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest VKontakte
    Sg Latest NewsSg Latest News
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Sports
    Sg Latest NewsSg Latest News
    Home»Politics»Court ruling against Trump’s use of tariffs offers little respite for global economy, analysts say
    Politics

    Court ruling against Trump’s use of tariffs offers little respite for global economy, analysts say

    AdminBy AdminNo Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    TARIFF RULING CLOUDS FED’S RATE PATH

    The Supreme Court’s ruling also poses new questions for Federal Reserve policymakers who have spent the last year trying to understand how Trump’s sharply higher import taxes would affect inflation and the economic trajectory.

    Many of them only recently gained confidence that last year’s tariff-driven price increases would soon wane.

    Now, they are forced to wonder whether the process might be thrown into reverse, or put on hold while the Trump administration looks for workarounds to reimpose the same taxes under other authority.

    All the while, the Fed is left guessing about the outcome, facing a more complicated decision on when or if to resume cutting interest rates.

    “Is there a requirement to pay back the firms that have paid in? … If so, that’s a lot of disruption,” Atlanta Fed president Raphael Bostic said at an appearance in Birmingham, Alabama.

    “Does this cause businesses to revert back to old business models about where they are getting their supplies? … Will there be another vehicle to put all those tariffs in at the same level or are there constraints?”

    The fresh uncertainty around the Fed’s outlook was evident in interest rate futures markets, where traders wager on the direction of borrowing costs.

    Those markets seesawed on Friday between bets that the Fed would start cutting rates again in June or would wait until July, reflecting the complications the court ruling has introduced.

    Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the legal fight over refunds of the invalidated taxes could take “weeks, months, years” to be resolved.

    Meanwhile, the Trump administration will impose alternative import levies under what Bessent called “well-tested” authorities to fill the tariff gap left by the court’s 6-3 ruling.

    “No one should expect that the tariff revenues will go down,” Bessent told the Economic Club of Dallas.

    If the Trump administration’s new tariffs are essentially one-for-one replacements of the old tariffs imposed under emergency powers known as the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), St Louis Fed president Alberto Musalem told Fox Business Network that his own economic forecast would not change much.

    Still, he said, he plans to talk directly with CEOs to find out how they plan to manage the switch.

    “It is possible that as companies begin to think of how they’re going to transition from paying IEEPA tariffs to paying a different kind of tariffs, that could introduce a period of uncertainty there for companies,” Musalem told Fox Business Network’s Edward Lawrence.

    For Dallas Fed president Lorie Logan, the ruling also means a fresh lack of clarity.

    “It’s something we’ll be paying attention to, but I don’t have any specific perspective,” she said in New York.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Admin
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Trump warns Iran of ‘really bad things’ if there’s no deal

    Labor Secretary’s husband barred from HQ after sexual assault claims

    UK has not agreed to let US strike Iran from British bases, Sky News understands | World News

    Large banner featuring Trump’s face is displayed on Justice Department headquarters

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    Judge reverses Trump administration’s cuts of billions of dollars to Harvard University

    Prabowo jets to meet Xi in China after deadly Indonesia protests

    This HP laptop with an astonishing 32GB of RAM is just $261

    Top Reviews
    9.1

    Review: Mi 10 Mobile with Qualcomm Snapdragon 870 Mobile Platform

    By Admin
    8.9

    Comparison of Mobile Phone Providers: 4G Connectivity & Speed

    By Admin
    8.9

    Which LED Lights for Nail Salon Safe? Comparison of Major Brands

    By Admin
    Sg Latest News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
    • Get In Touch
    © 2026 SglatestNews. All rights reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.